Thursday, March 1, 2012

Come to Me

"I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."  And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.

Mark 10:13-16


Last Saturday, my husband and I were in our kitchen and suddenly we heard a loud scream.    We looked outside and a young girl, maybe 12 or 13 was on the ground screaming in pain.  My husband went over and I followed.  She had fallen off a golf cart and hit her head pretty hard on the asphalt.  I sat down next to her and held her hand.  She was saying things like "my head hurts so bad" and "why is this happening?"  I told her to look into my eyes and I looked deeply into her eyes and told her "You're gonna be okay."  When she would acknowledge the pain, I would tell her to squeeze my hand.  She then put her hand back to feel the knot and the surprise of how big it was she began to cry again.  I quickly reassured her by getting her to look into my eyes and telling her again "It's gonna be okay."  She again asked "why is this happening?"  I told her accidents happen and she was gonna be okay.   They lady that she was staying with came and got her and then we went back to our house, but I still haven't gotten this young girl off my mind. 

As I thought of this whole situation, I couldn't help notice the symbolism of Christ to us.  How many times have we had situations where we're screaming to God "why is this happening"  and "it hurts SO bad."  And oh how he gently takes our hand and reminds us that we're going to be okay.  "In this world you will have troubles, but take heart I have overcome the world" John 16:33 He gets us to look into his eyes of perfection and realize that we're okay as long as we're focused on him.  He has us transfer the weight of our pain onto him just as I had that young girl to squeeze my hand.  He also reassures us when we don't know why we're experiencing the pain in our lives.  Something about being the one comforting made me feel a little of what God must feel towards us.  I knew strongly that she was going to be okay and so when I looked in her eyes, I had so much compassion for her as I knew that it hurt so bad and was so scary.  God is there for us, to hold our hand and to reassure us.  He is our refuge in times of trouble and helps us get through the hard times with His compassion and understanding.

Melinda Crouch, Central Alabama Case Worker

No comments: