Monday, March 26, 2012

What I Have Learned

My sweet friend Tera Melber, who is a friend of Lifeline, wrote this blog post on  the airplane on her way home from Ethiopia with their new precious son.  I wanted to share it with you!  May her words speak to you as they did to me.  

Lesley Scott, Kentucky State Director


"What I Have Learned":

This is what I have learned, not what I have mastered. I am utterly helpless. I could not blink without God causing me to blink. I couldn't take one breath of air without Him opening my lungs and filling them with the oxygen that He has provided. I am utterly unworthy. I am not worhty of being born in America to parents who love me. Not worthy of being introduced at a young age to the Gospel. Not worthy to be married to a strong, faithful, God-fearing man who loves me and cares for me. Not worthy of being a mom to six incredible kids; all who are so different with such different stories, hopes, and dreams. Right now, I sing in my heart, the old hymn....I stand amazed in the presence of Jesus the Nazarene and wonder why He would love me, a sinner, condemned, unclean....how marvelous, how wonderful, and my song shall ever sing, is my Savior's love for me.

This week we have watched God's hand guide every aspect of our journey. Lots of travel troubles, UGH. Through it all, when I would feel anxiety welling up in my heart, I would hear Him asking me, Do you trust me? Do you really mean all the things you say to everyone else? Do you trust me to work out circumstances according to My plan, not yours? Do you recognize that you are not in control? Over and over, I know that He was and is telling me that in good or bad I must choose to trust that this journey is HIS. This journey of the life that He has planned and intended. I don't always react the ways I should to difficulties.  I still get very anxious, want to control situations and people, but honestly....deep within my soul, I do trust Him. I may not like the plan, but I trust that He has ALL worked out. I'm on a plane right now on our last leg home from bringing home our boy. We are surprising the other 5 kids with an early flight home. Soon we will be the eight of us. Our boy is sleeping peacefully. He fully trusts us as his parents. We know where he is going. We know what is in store of the other end of this plane ride. We had a plan to bring him home. Everywhere we've led him, he has willingly gone with a smile on his face, hand held out to take ours. Fully trusting. May I be the same with my Heavenly Father who has the plan."

Psalm 34:8-11
Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Fear the LORD, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing. The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing. Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.


Tera Melber

No comments: