Monday, February 13, 2012

The Lord Almighty

I am thinking about the first time I sensed that our four-month-old might like worship music about as much as his mama.

Wednesday nights at our church are loud, really loud and really good. You can feel the music right down to your core and Judah has experienced this feeling since day one in the womb. I lead worship and between the students' voices and the way the stage trembles from the sound of the base and drums, there is little doubt how music found a place in his heart hidden there in my womb.

Our Judah was born in September of last year and after we had been home from the hospital about three weeks, he had a particularly rough night. In the middle of the night, he woke very upset and we were unable to console him. Everything we tried failed so we eventually turned to a song my husband and I both love. Immediately, Judah was consoled as these words played loudly in his ear:

“Holy! Holy! Lord God Almighty.
There is no one like You!
You are Holy, Holy!”

I believe we have played that song about a thousand times since his birth four months ago and it never fails to soothe his soul, and mine too. Each time he gets upset and we play those powerful words, he is stilled. I am reminded of Psalm 46, particularly verses 10-11, “He says, ‘Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.’ The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.”

Little ones can rest because He is almighty. Grown ones can rest because He is almighty.

I don’t know your story. I don’t know what wakes you up in the middle of the night. I don’t know what in your life grieves your heart and turns your eyes to tears.

I do know that our God is capable and strong and that He is ALWAYS with us. He is able and eager to work in and through every long wait, each silent season, every loss, and all of our fears. There has never been and never will be anyone like our God, The Lord Almighty, the God of Jacob who is our fortress.


Lauren Strickland
South Alabama Case Worker

No comments: