Monday, August 30, 2010

Finding Rest in Him

Psalm 62 teaches us about resting in God by waiting on him.

My soul finds rest in God alone;
My salvation comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I will never be shaken. (1-2)

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
My hope comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God;
He is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust in him at all times, O people;
Pour out your hearts to him,
For God is our refuge. (5-8)

I just think about the opening statement “My soul finds rest in God alone”. The soul is compromised of the mind, the will, and the emotions. When we are trusting in God, all of these things-mind, will, and our emotions are submitted to him and waiting for his timing. We do not try to make anything happen in our own strength; we wait for God to move on our behalf.

When we wait on God we begin to develop an attitude that reflects Jesus in Luke 22:42, “Father if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” I know in my own life when the waiting is too difficult I want him to take my unrest and make the situation fit how I think best. However, I have found that it is much less frustrating if I ask God to give me the grace to endure it. We are sure to find great peace and enter into a supernatural rest when we are able to surrender. Life becomes much easier when we trust that God is in control and that he has our best interest at heart just like any good father. Whatever it is today that is causing you to not wait on his timing meditate on Psalm 62 and find rest in him.


Laura Armstrong
Foster Care Social Worker

No comments: