Thursday, July 12, 2012

Walk as children of the light..



My husband and I love to go backpacking together. We live in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, so our weekends are most often spend outdoors on a new exciting trail or beautiful mountain that we haven’t explored yet. I look forward to our time outdoors.  I am constantly reminded of our God’s greatness and splendor when I look at the beauty He has created. I can’t look at the mountains without seeing Him. It is amazing to me that the same God that painted the skies is the same God that is with us every single moment of every single day. 

The Lord is constantly teaching me and stretching me in new ways when we are hiking. Not only physically.. but spiritually. I love how scripture has so many examples of “walking” in Him.  Ephesians 5:15-16 says, “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.”  Psalm 119:105 states, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”  And Galatians 5:16 says, “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.”


Constantly throughout his Word, we see examples and reminders that each step of our daily walk needs to be in the likeness of Christ and allowing Him to lead us. Walking in love (Ephesians 5:2) and setting our eyes on Him.  We are to walk in His image, while also making the most of our time as the days slip away. And walk in a way where we are led by the Spirit and not our flesh. I love the imagery He paints. As we walk through the ups and downs of each day, we are to look to Him for our compass. As life throws us a split on our hiking trail, He is who we seek for direction.

This means that when we, as Lifeline Staff serving families, face difficult situations, we are to look to Him for wisdom. When we, as adoptive families, face a difficult delay, we are to trust Him who has all of our paths mapped out already. He is with us through every joy and every sorrow, walking alongside. The best hiking companion in life we could ever ask for.


“For at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. WALK as children of light.” {Ephesians 5:8}

Briana Remkus, Administrative Assistant

No comments: