Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Call of a Prayer Warrior

A few weeks ago, a friend and I were talking about our dependence on God. In that conversation, she pointed out that throughout the Bible, God performed His greatest miracles in situations where there was no other way. For the Israelites, only when there was no food, did He provide manna. Only when there was no wine at the wedding, did He turn the water into wine. Only when the blind man had no sight, did he provide sight. And for us, only when we were dead in our sins, did He provide a rescue. I had never thought of it that way before, but this truth has been coming to mind more and more lately.

Recently, I have become aware of how often I ask myself the question, “How can I figure this out on my own?” or “What can I do the fix this situation?” Over and over again, the answer is NOTHING. As disheartening as that is to me, I am reminded of my Lord’s provision. His grace is sufficient for me. For His power is made perfect in my WEAKNESS. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. Coming to that realization has completely changed the way I approach prayer. It brings me to the end of myself and heightens my dependence on Him as the only true Provider.

Furthermore, this heightened sense of dependence on the Lord has restructured my view of myself and my role at work. I am not just a case worker or a birth mother counselor, I am a prayer warrior. Every day, I am given the opportunity to draw near to the throne room of God the Provider. I am able to bring before Him the needs of adoptive parents, birth mothers, and children around the world. This brings both peace and responsibility. Peace because I can rest in His plan and control over every situation. Responsibility because I am fighting for the lives of children- to free them from otherwise hopeless and broken situations.

In recent weeks, I have taken ownership of this new identity as a prayer warrior. I fight for the lives of the children that I serve. I fight for them to be adopted into families where they will be raised by a mom and a dad who love the Lord and who will teach them the saving grace of Jesus. If fight for the speedy completion of processes that are often out of our hands so that children can come home to their forever families.



“The Spirit of the Lord GOD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor.
He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives,
and freedom to the prisoners.”

Isaiah 61:1


Mallory Blackmon
South Alabama Case Worker

No comments: