Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Commitment

Recently, I sat at two of my friends’ weddings as they committed their lives to one another. I watched their vows being exchanged and the beautiful ceremony, and I thought back several years ago to the commitment that I made to my spouse. The commitment to be there no matter what, to love and to cherish him. To be there for him, always. It brought me to a place of panic.

Am I committed to the one who loves me, who pursues me, and was committed to me before I even knew Him? Do I give enough? Do I trust Him enough? Do I spend enough time with Him? With my every need...every blessing...every want…Am I committed enough?

Then I read over and over again the word of God:

As for me, I would seek God and inquire of and require Him, and to God would I commit my cause Job 5: 8

O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man who trusts in You. Psalm 84: 12

Into Your hands I commit my spirit; You have redeemed me, O Lord, the God of truth and faithfulness. Psalm 31: 5

He is committed to me. I don't give him enough of me.

Do I only lean on Him when it is easy? I pray Lord that my commitment to you is great. That you know I will seek Your presence and truth in my life. Even when it seems out of reach.

"When commitment is based on the wrong things, only bad results will befall us. In John 12:18, people come to see Jesus out of curiosity, not commitment. "Many people, because they had heard that he had given this miraculous sign, went out to meet him." In a matter of days, these same people stood by and watched Jesus crucified. So much for commitment. The Bible warns that we should base our commitments on faith and truth, not on common things such as curiosity or self-gratification."

Help me to seek Your will. I pray patience for your will. Lord I am committed.

Jackie Maddox

Post Placement Coordinator