Friday, March 11, 2011

You Can't Miss Out

I’m so thankful for Dave Wood’s recent entry. I’m thankful for hearing the big picture about our country- though sad- and yet, also hearing about hope because the Lord is working in His people (as He will continue to do until the end) - but especially in the area of loving orphans. He is such a kind, gentle and strong Father.

I have worked over these past 8 years with women, mostly single, as they consider future plans for themselves and their child(ren). I want them to know what I have had to be reminded of way too often:

1) I will not miss out on God’s perfect, good, and pleasing will. At the same time, I have responsibility. I’m commanded to seek the Lord and His kingdom first (Matt. 6:33) and then “all these things” will be given us. I’m commanded to love Him with ALL my heart, mind, soul, and strength (Matt. 22:37-40). I’m told if I draw near to Him, He will draw near to me (James 4:7-8) and to not be double minded (have my mind/heart in the Lord AND….). (We cannot serve two masters -Matthew 6:24) I’m told that if I delight myself in the Lord, He will give me the desires of my heart (because my delight is in Him). I’m told if I don’t conform to the world, but am transformed and renew my mind, I will KNOW His good, pleasing, and perfect will (Rom. 12:2). He is a good Father and knows how to give good gifts to His children- and knows what gifts are best (Matt. 7:11) When I really take the time to do less and sit in His presence, to tell Him what’s on my heart, to read truth and dwell on it, to tell Him how awesome He is (and He is regardless of what’s happening in my life), to express thanks to Him, and to pray for the saints & those who don’t know Him, I am most at peace. I see Him move. I feel content. He fulfills these promises to draw near to me, to give me the desire of my heart. I am called to trust in truth even when it doesn’t look good around me or I’m hurting. Faith does not disappoint. I’d love for the women we work with to know this in the depth of their hearts and (as I need to) sit and walk in it.

2) Been reading through a book Captivating. It’s for women, though all could learn from it. It shares how women reflect a part of the Lord in that He wants to be pursued by us (not that He needs us, mind you), but He is a relational God and delights in relating with us (for some strange but great reason). One of the bottom lines for why women do some of the things they do to seek attention is to know “am I lovely?” Wow. What a question. As those made in His image, I’d say we all reflect the beauty and loveliness of God in some way. However, in Him, through the blood, through how He’s made us- we are lovely. The more we grow in Him, the more we reflect Him and are lovelier. We can’t be prideful about it as He is the ultimate lovely One, and we are just poor reflections of Him. But, the truth is, no one, no thing, no anything besides Him truly makes us lovely. Oh, that our women would know that they can truly be lovely –especially before our perfect Father, Brother, Friend, Lover who delights in His children.

And when we rest in these truths (and get rid of the sin that so easily entangles, keeping our eyes on Him), we are better for ourselves- AND- those around us- spouses, family, friends, children, orphans, saints, unbelievers. We follow His command to love our “neighbor” as ourselves. We can be confident in Him and His perfect plan and then love more completely and wholly because we trust, we sit in truth; we know He’s working it out for our (moral) good. He’s got us.

Gina Linden
Birthmother Counselor

No comments: