Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Walk in the Word: God's Story of Redemption

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress, My God in whom I trust!" - Psalm 91:1-2


Last night in my quiet time with the Lord, I began reflecting on Psalm 91. As I was sitting in my room, on my comfortable bed, in my air-conditioned house, with a wonderful loving spouse and children.....I began thinking of how the Lord has truly blessed me and how often I take such blessings for granted. My mind began to question how many millions of abandoned, orphaned, or children living in foster care may never know these blessings that I so often take for granted. Some where in the world, children are sleeping two or more to a bed, and others may not have a bed at all. How many of them have never had a safe haven to go home to, or a family to love on them? It is so easy to question why some people have to suffer more than others, but I am reminded in Psalm 91 that nothing happens without God permitting it to happen. This psalm so eloquently describes the sovereign protection an Almighty God.

I remember being a child, playing outside and getting very hot out in the sun. We had a great big oak tree in our back yard where I loved to swing and climb. When I would get too hot, or just needed to rest, I would sit underneath that tree because its shadow was so great that it blocked out all sun light.........Well, how much greater is our God than that old oak tree? He is more than able to protect us for the many dangers and terrors that we face in this world. So for the millions of children worldwide who may be without a family, or bed, or a safe haven, I know they have an even greater refuge when resting in the shadow of our Most High God.

Praying YOU will find refuge,
Deanna Crist

No comments: